COVID-19 Updates: Get the latest public information related to coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) at
Foster youth will be able to maintain a safety net of support while experiencing independence in a secure and supervised living environment. Extended time as provided in the “non-minor dependent’ status can assist youth in becoming better prepared for successful transition into adulthood and self-sufficiency through education and employment training opportunities. By participating in Extended Foster Care, you can continue to receive their monthly foster care payment, housing assistance, and case management.

Who can use this Resource?

  • Foster youth 18 to 21 years old.

At the six month hearing prior to youth’s 18th birthday, the social worker/probation officer must have a plan to ensure the youth meets at least ONE of the following criteria:

  1. Completing high school or equivalent program (e.g. GED); OR
  2. Enrolling in college, community college or a vocational education program; OR
  3. Employed at least 80 hours a month; OR
  4. Participating in a program designed to promote or remove barriers to employment; OR
  5. Unable to do one of the above requirements because of a medical condition.

To find you if you are eligible; call your assigned social worker. If you have already exited foster care and are interested in entering extended foster care, call our intake hotline at 805-781-5437 or expand the Resources menu item then click on Foster Youth.

Extended Foster Care services are free. Foster Youth in the program will receive payments, housing assistance, and case management.

Please call (805) 781-781-5437 or 805-781-1700 for more information.

Translate »