Kids need to be raised by families. For the approximately 400+ youth removed from homes in San Luis Obispo County annually and placed into Foster Care, permanency home planning begins immediately. Permanency is a big word but at its heart it means one thing: Families for children. Our first priority is to reunite kids with their birth families whenever it is safe to do so. But some families are simply not able to reunite. For those children, our Department works diligently to identify adoptive homes early in the process.

If you are considering adoption, we hope the information found on this page will help you with your decision.

If you adopted a child or were adopted, we have resources available for you as well.

Click on the button below to download the Adoption Process Checklist.

Adoption Process Checklist

Adoption ends all rights and responsibilities between the birth parents and the child, including inheritance and visitation rights.  The legal relationship with all other relatives will also end.  When you adopt a child, your legal relationship with that child is the same as with a child born to you.  An adopted child becomes your own child in all respects.

Since adoption is the most permanent plan for a child, it is often the preferred plan.  There are government programs (Adoption Assistance) that can provide financial help and services for children with special needs who are adopted.  You may want to discuss this option with your Social Worker or Attorney.

Guardianship, on the other hand, suspends the rights and responsibilities of the birth parents.  A child may still inherit from the parents if a guardianship exists.  The court may order visitation with the parents of other relatives as part of its decision.  While a guardian has the same responsibilities as a parent to care for and control a child, a guardian can be removed or the guardianship itself can be terminated by court order.  A guardianship usually ends when the child becomes an adult at 18 years but you always remain the parent of your adopted child.

You can obtain additional information about these programs from your child’s Social Worker or your local Child Welfare Agency.

Source: American LegalNet, INC