If you are not a mandated reporter, you can call the 24-hour Child Abuse Reporting Hotline at 805-781-KIDS (5437) or 1-800-834-5437.
Remember, reporting your concerns is not making an accusation; rather, it is a request for an investigation and assessment to determine if help is needed. The identity of those who have reported suspected child abuse is kept confidential.
As a mandated
reporter of child abuse in San Luis Obispo County, if you suspect child abuse or neglect, YOU MUST
1. Immediately call Child Welfare Services (CWS) 24-Hour Child Abuse Reporting Hotline at 805-781-KIDS (5437) or 1-800-834-KIDS.
2. Complete and file this report: Suspected Child Abuse Report (SCAR) Form 8572
. The Social Worker you speak with when calling the CWS hotline will inform you where to fax/email the SCAR form.
3. Retain a legible copy of the SCAR Report YOU are responsible for making this report. DO NOT ALLOW your supervisor/principal to make the report for you or assume because another co-worker has some of the same information that they will make the report.
4. Do not attempt to investigate, conduct interviews or interfere with the information you hold.
5. Remember that you are to report SUSPECTED abuse – you are not required to have witnessed or have complete proof of the incident. You are obligated by law to report what you observe or what you are told that caused suspicion the child is being physically, sexually or emotionally abused or neglected.
When in doubt, call CWS and get their input about the scope of your report.